New Recipe Challenge
You know, there comes a time in a woman's life where; no matter how much she loathes to do so, she must come up with something a little different in respect to dinner for the family. Not so different that picky eaters in her home will turn their noses up at even the thought of something like that, yet not the same thing over and over again where the woman can't stand to even buy or make that dinner again.
This leads me to...
BURRITOS AND TACOS.
Burritos and tacos are a one stop shop, easy and pleasing meal that my family eats once every few weeks. At first, it was such a novelty to have burrito and taco night. Sometimes I would assemble all the food on each plate while other times I would let it be a "build your own burrito / taco" night.
Today I knew it was that time that my husband and boys were wanting their old standby but in my heart I just could not get myself to do the same old thing. I thought about it all day and tried to change their mind by suggesting lasagna or some kind of casserole or....wait...THAT'S IT! I'll make a casserole/lasagna hybrid, but Mexican style twist.
I did a quick Google search for the words "mexican lasagna casserole" and a ton of recipes came up in my search results. The only problem was that all the recipes called for lasagna noodles. That just will not do. If this is going to be a mexican themed dish then lasagna noodles would not work for me. I truly wanted to go with tortillas and I felt I could make it work. Taco shells were just not going to happen for me due to the crunch factor in lasagna/casserole dish; it's good in a cold taco dip but not a heated up dish.
"I can do this. I should substitute lasagna items for items I use when I make burritos and tacos."
(My one concern was the use of tortillas and my worry they would become too soggy to hold up to the weight of the layers).
So here we go....
|Ingredients (ground beef not pictured)|
- 6 Large Flour Tortillas
- 31 oz can of Refried Beans
- 12 oz White Rice
- 1 lime
- 3 tbls Adobo powder
- 2 tbls Butter
- 3 1/4 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 6 oz bottle of Taco Sauce
- 3 tbls Taco Seasoning
- 8 oz Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 4 slices of Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese
How to Make
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Ground the beef, drain and pour the bottle of taco sauce and 3 tbls of taco seasoning in the beef mixture and simmer.
- Cook the white rice according to instructions. Then drain and squeeze the juice from a whole lime in it, 2 tbls of the butter and 3 tbls of the Adobo powder. Mix well.
- In a 9x13 pan - line the bottom with three of the tortillas folding each one over once. Like above.
- Take half of the refried beans and spoon on top of the tortillas.
- Take half of the lime rice mixture and spoon on top of the beans.
- Talk half of the ground beef mixture and spoon on top of the rice.
- On top of the ground beef mixture put the four slices of jalapeno cheddar cheese on top along with 1/4 of the shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Repeat steps 4 - 7.
- On the top pour the remaining shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
It was a hit and my husband and boys really enjoyed it. The tortillas held up really well and were not soggy at all. I think folding them was a good call.
Even my youngest, the pickiest of the three, told me he wanted me to make this more and (although he liked tacos better) he loves this because it has a lot of stuff in it that I wouldn't eat but when you put it together in a pan it comes out yummy!